2013 is quickly coming to a close. So before 2014 is rung in, we wanted to present our Top 13 Songs Of the Year. There is no particular rhyme or reason to this list. The songs are not listed in any particular order. Also, there is no real qualification to being on this list – except for quality! If you want the most played songs or the highest selling songs there are charts for that. There is also no litmus test for purity either (even though most of these are pretty on the hardcore side). These are the songs that we deem are the best of the entire year. So without further ado…let’s hit it!
1. Wagon Wheel – Darius Rucker: If there was “a song” of the first half of 2013 it was this one. The song, written by Bob Dylan and made popular by Old Crow Medicine Show topped the charts in April. The song’s success crossed over to the Pop charts (it peaked at #15), resulted in enough momentum to earn Old Crow’s version platinum certification (and an invite to be new members of The Grand Ole Opry), and a music video with the Duck Dynasty clan.
2. Tonight I’m Playin’ Possum – Randy Travis & Joe Nichols: The passing of the legendary icon George Jones was met with sadness and a year’s worth of tributes. The most memorable is the one recorded by Randy Travis and Joe Nichols. The fitting tribute would become more poignant as Travis suffered a stroke and was hospitalized over the summer.
3. Give It All We Got Tonight – George Strait: The world of Country Music united together in an effort to give George Strait his 60th #1 hit by his 61st Birthday in May. Just days before the big day we succeeded and another milestone was celebrated for one of the greatest of all time! Strait will be finishing his touring career in 2014 but is signed to record at least five more albums.
4. Redneck Paradise – Hank Williams Jr. & Kid Rock: Definitely one of this year’s most underrated songs! Country met Rock and took us back to the 90′s Honky Tonk sound. Too bad we don’t hear stuff like this too often anymore.
5. Together Again – Vince Gill & Paul Franklin: Speaking of throwbacks, Vince Gill did a heck of a job taking us back to the Bakersfield sound this year with his latest album. Buck Owens would definitely be proud!
6. Daddy Dance With Me – Krystal Keith: Krystal Keith lit the Country world on fire with a touching music video tribute to her daddy Toby Keith. The video went viral and has scored over a million hits. Krystal has since released her first album and will definitely be one to watch in 2014.
7. Love In The First Degree – Luke Bryan & Alabama: one of the best Country bands ever, Alabama, was back on the scene in 2013. in a huge way! They released an albums of covers featuring Country’s biggest stars. Some of them gave modern twists on the hits. Some of them didn’t stray too far from the originals. We could have picked a bunch of songs from the album but we were wowed by Luke Bryan’s take on the classic
8. Cecil’s Palace – Tracy Lawrence: Speaking of comebacks, 90′s icon Tracy Lawrence returned with a new album this year and we loved it! While most of the songs had a contemporary feel, you could hear his classic sound through each song. This particular song did the exact opposite – The song sounds like his early 90′s hits but has contemporary lyrics. It makes for a fantastic combination!
9. Kiss An Angel Good Mornin’ – Neal McCoy (Featuring Darius Rucker): Another 90′s Icon made a comeback this year. Neal McCoy released an album in tribute to the legendary Charley Pride. It’s a fantastic album but we can’t stop listening to this classic that features Darius Rucker joining McCoy to sing Pride’s signature song.
10. Blue Ridge Mountain Song – Alan Jackson: In addition to a Gospel album, the iconic Alan Jackson released a Bluegrass album in 2013. Believe it or not, this song’s music video was #1 for awhile this fall! Alan definitely knows how to pain a picture, doesn’t he?
11. You Can’t Make Old Friends – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton: Some combinations get finer with time. That’s definitely true with Kenny and Dolly. They teamed up with each other for Rogers’ latest album. It was a huge year for Kenny Rogers, as he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, given a lifetime achievement award by the Country Music Association, and as a special surprise was nominated for a Grammy for this song (not bad for a legend who just turned 75)!
12. Boys Round Here – Blake Shelton: This song dominated radio for quite awhile this year and we couldn’t get it out of our heads. It’s just a big ole party with Miranda and her Pistol Annies joining him. The remix that features Reba, Josh Turner, Hank Jr, and more is even hotter!
13. I Can Take It From There – Chris Young: In a year filled with pop and hick hop this Top 20 hit sure is refreshing. We can’t stop listening to it. It’s fun and it requires us to crank up the speakers!
We can’t wait to see what the year 2014 will bring for Country. It is looking like 2014 will be the year of Garth Brooks and we’re excited about that. We’re hopeful that the classic sound will come back to the genre as it seems to happen every decade or so. whatever the case, we’ll be here to cover it for y’all!
Happy New Year!